August 9, 2012 09:49
by our guest blogger: Susan Etter
It happened. My little baby girl has grown into a Kindergartner!! Since that makes me an official Kindergarten Mom I’ve been busy preparing for that all important day, the first day of big kid school. In these final days before school starts I’ve been filling out endless paperwork, scheduling a last minute physical, and gathering fab but functional school supplies. All the while that little voice inside my head keeps reminding me…this is a REALLY BIG DEAL!!
Since it’s time to step up my mommying game, I’ve gathered lots of wisdom from those who have gone before me. Here are some of my favorite ideas, straight from Twitter:
- “Give a big confident smile when your child steps away to his/her 1st day of “real” school (i.e. Don’t cry!)” @mymomtweets
- “Do a school day morning before the actual first day of school! Practice getting dressed, backpacks, etc.” @myselfbelts
- “Yes, bring a box of Kleenex! It’s a bittersweet moment.” @HappilyDomestic
- “If kindergartner rides the bus, I always put them on for 1st day by followed bus & met it at school to walk child to their room.” And “Make a plan to meet with other moms with kids in the class after dropoff. Share your feelings. Very emotional day.” @RobynsWorld
- “Take pictures, of course! Read The Kissing Hand if your child is nervous.” Kristen from @mastermombrain (btw, our founder Cindy will love that book...it features raccoons!)
I’m not quite sure how moms made it before the Web, but I’ve been having a lot of fun finding ways to preserve this moment:
- I love using Animoto to create lasting video memories in a flash. Check out their tips for “Creating a First Day of School Video”.
- Pinterest is my new best friend for finding creative back to school ideas. Check out these smarty pants kids Pins.
- It goes without saying that Makaboo Personalized Gifts has been my best source for fab back to school preparations. From practically impossible to find personalized nap mats to uniform friendly monogrammed polo shirts, adorable organizers and more, Makaboo makes back to school prep easy!
My little one designed her very own Makaboo backpack and
lunch box online! She loved being included in the school prep.
For little ones wearing a school uniform this fall, help them stand
out from the crowd with a personalized kids belt or
a personalized children's tie!
Finally! Cute personalized nap mats with a handle perfect for little
ones to carry! The removable plush pillow makes
Makaboo nap mats extra cozy.
Now let’s hear from you! Share your first day of kindergarten adventures with comments here, Pins, Tweets and Facebook posts with us!!
Susan Etter is Director of Marketing at Makaboo Personalized Gifts and proud mom to an official Kindergartner.